Phantom Practice STEPS TO BUILD A PORCINE PHANTOM
- Prepare a piece of pork shoulder with the humerus attached.
- Carve to 20 cm x 12 cm x 8 cm (length x width x height).
- Remove the skin and deodorize the pork specimen by soaking it in approximately 30 mL of 70% alcohol inside a plastic bag for 8 to 10 hours at 4°C.
- Use a metal or plastic rod (approximately 1.5 cm in diameter) to create a 10cm long tunnel within the muscle layers approximately 3 cm from the surface.
- Insert a bovine tendon (approximately 8 cm long and 1 cm in diameter) inside the tunnel; ultrasound appearance of tendon and nerve is similar.
- Use a smaller tendon for advanced practice.
- Wrap up the whole phantom in a transparent para film and reinforce exteriorly by a surgical paper towel.
- Store specimen at 4°C until use.
Short axis (x-section) view
In Plane Needle Insertion Practice
A. The needle is inserted in plane with the transducer but the needle image is not seen.
B. Maneuver # 1: Slide the transducer back and forth slowly over the needle until the needle image is seen. Hold the needle steady.
C. Maneuver # 2: Wiggle the needle tip from side to side until the needle is seen. Hold the transducer steady.
Out of Plane Needle Insertion Practice
Please refer to Needle Localization.